Welcome to OCTeeVee:

Obsessive Compulsive Television Viewer

This is a blog about TV by someone who loves TV. Occasionally it will be about me, but it will relate to television.

There will frequently be spoilers, so beware.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Soylent Green M&Ms are Made Out of People!


I use a crappy DVR to watch TV (I miss and hope someday to return to my long lost TiVo), so I don't watch a lot of commercials. But I'm the kind of TV watcher that is usually doing two things at once (I tend to rewind quite a bit because of that). Unless I'm working out, during which I fast forward commercials immediately, some commercials "slip through." (I realize that advertising pays for our "free" TV, and the implications of not watching commercials, but that's another post.).

I've been disturbed lately by the growing number of anthropomorphized foods that talk about how they know they are going to, or might be eaten. Am I the only one who is bothered by this? A chicken begging people to eat beef instead of them (or was it vice versa?). Or M&Ms that openly say "we're on the menu." I mean, I know M&Ms were never alive and aren't really food, but it's just weird to attribute human qualities to things we eat in advertisements designed to get us to buy food products. I'm against this trend.

Granted that this could partially be vague homosexism on my part, but the green "sexpot" M&M also really freaks me out.

(N.B.: The above is actually a print ad from Australia, but it makes the point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment